Confidentiality & Transparency
The education sector has many overlapping relationships and Bellwether works with a wide array of stakeholders. We account for the diverse nature of our written work and public communications in the following way: We always hold our clients’ proprietary information in confidence, but we disclose the existence of any formal relationship between Bellwether and any entity. In other words, Bellwether maintains the confidentiality of information but does not have confidential clients. All relevant client and organizational relationships are revealed in any published work, and all clients, past and present, are listed on our website.
At Bellwether Education Partners, there is agreement across our team about the scale and severity of the educational problems America faces and the urgency those issues demand. There is not agreement, however, on the best remedies or policies for improving schools and education more generally. We value and cultivate a diversity of viewpoints and do not expect or force intellectual consensus. We believe this makes our overall work stronger and also allows us to work with a diverse range of organizations and clients who share our sense of urgency but who either do not have unified viewpoints themselves or who have views different than some Bellwether staff members.
Bellwether team members retain absolute editorial control over the content of any published editorial work carrying their byline or the Bellwether brand. We approach all our work unencumbered, meaning we will never shape our opinions to suit a client’s interests. Our diversity of clients and funders is another way we protect our editorial independence.
Our opinions are:
- Those of individual team members. Bellwether does not take organizational positions except on issues affecting 501(c)3 organizations as a class.
- Unencumbered by client and organizational relationships.
- Firmly grounded in facts and evidence.
- At times provocative and even uncomfortable, but not intended to merely provoke, inflame, or spark a reaction.
- Respectful of history, context, and legitimate disagreements among stakeholders.
- Always open to the null hypothesis, new evidence, and the possibility that we might be wrong--we are analysts first.