Communications and Marketing Director
Use your exceptional knowledge of marketing, branding, and implementing strategy to help shape Bellwether’s name and impact!
Bellwether has an immediate opening for a Communications and Marketing Director who will help expand the reach of our work, assist in the promotion and dissemination of all public-facing research, track impact using metrics and analytics, and develop and maintain internal systems for communications planning and internal communications. Although we prefer a candidate who is based in or around Washington, D.C., this role is flexible, enabling us to hire the best person for the role, regardless of geography.
About Bellwether Education Partners
Bellwether Education Partners is a national nonprofit focused on dramatically changing education and life outcomes for underserved children. We do this by helping education organizations accelerate their impact and by working to improve policy and practice.
Bellwether’s external relations work focuses on training and developing expertise on communications and development internally while creating public-facing materials that will resonate with different types of stakeholders, including policymakers, donors, advocacy organizations, and school leaders.
About the Position
The Communications and Marketing Director will work across Bellwether with our Policy and Evaluation team, as well as the Strategic Advising team. Additionally, this role will provide internal support for all of Bellwether’s service areas. Occasionally, the Communications and Marketing Director may participate in minor ways on client projects in an advising role. This position will report to Bellwether Partner & Co-founder Andrew Rotherham.
In this position, you should expect to:
Shape the communications and marketing strategy through a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion lens
- Provide critical input into shaping and articulating Bellwether’s competitive advantage and brand
- Develop and implement strategies and branding efforts to build awareness and strength of the Bellwether brand, both internally and externally
- Actively identify opportunities to build and diversify Bellwether’s audiences
- Help us build awareness in new and unfamiliar areas of communications and marketing
Drive high-impact communications, dissemination, and outreach
- Lead “packaging” and dissemination of Bellwether expert-developed content, with keen attention to tailoring content to the modality of the audience
- Lead outreach efforts to target audiences including media, policymakers, funders, current and prospective clients, and other stakeholders — for all public-facing reports and products
- Draft media advisories, press releases, and talking points about Bellwether’s work
Build team knowledge
- Define and refine key metrics to track and manage to help us evaluate the impact of our work
- Build Bellwether team capacity around marketing and communications, including assisting with cross-organizational communications alignment and internal communications
- Identify and execute on learning opportunities for the team around marketing and communications strategy
Bellwether is a good fit for professionals who possess strong personal drive and motivation; who demonstrate exemplary professional behavior and values; and who are resourceful, responsible, tenacious, independent, creative, and self-confident.
Excited? We are too. You should apply if you have:
- Belief and commitment to improving outcomes for underserved students
- At least five to seven years of professional experience in communications, writing, and/or public relations and media relations
- A demonstrated track record of successful development and implementation of marketing and communications strategies in the public, private, and/or nonprofit sector
- Strong skills in written communication, editing, and interpersonal communication
- Fluency with social media platforms and blogs
- Ability to think creatively and innovatively about opportunities to expand the reach of our work
- Entrepreneurial work style and willingness to proactively identify needs and take on projects
- Ability to manage multiple projects to timely and effective execution
- Ability to give and get feedback; to manage up and laterally, as needed; and to execute projects successfully without constant supervision
- A well-rounded interpersonal skill set with the capacity to work well both independently and in a team environment
- A high attention to detail and a commitment to producing the highest-quality work
The following traits/skills are ideal preferred, but not required:
- A strong personal network of media connections in policy, education, trade, and/or mainstream press
- Experience with web-based content management systems (including Drupal and Wordpress) and CRMs (including Salesforce)
- Email marketing and list-building experience
- Basic knowledge of HTML and CSS
Bellwether Education Partners provides competitive compensation and an attractive benefits package that includes a performance bonus based on individual and firm success, health care coverage, and a 401(k) plan with an employer matching contribution policy.
Use your application (a custom letter of interest, a current résumé, and two short writing samples of one to three pages) to show us how you’ve got the skills we’ve listed or why the skills you have are the ones we actually need.
Applications or inquiries about the position should be directed to Andy Rotherham, co-Founder and partner, via email@example.com. We will review applications as we receive them until the position is filled.
Bellwether is committed to building a team that reflects the varied backgrounds and experiences of the students we seek to serve. It is important to us that you use your application materials to clearly surface ways in which your background and experiences align with Bellwether’s core values, including our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Bellwether Education Partners is committed to providing equal opportunities. It is our policy to ensure that all individuals with whom we are in contact are not discriminated against on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, color, disability, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran’s status. Further, as described above, Bellwether is committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourages individuals from all backgrounds to apply.