Director of Talent Operations
About Bellwether Education Partners
Bellwether Education Partners is a national nonprofit focused on dramatically changing education and life outcomes for underserved children. We do this by helping education organizations accelerate their impact and by working to improve policy and practice.
Bellwether envisions a world in which race, ethnicity, and income no longer predict opportunities for students, and the American education system affords all individuals the ability to determine their own path and lead a productive and fulfilling life.
Our work focuses on six service areas:
- Policy analysis and research
- Strategy and growth planning
- Organizational effectiveness and efficiency
- Implementation support
- Educational program evaluation
- Academic and program advising
We believe that the only way to ensure all children have access to a high-quality education is to take a holistic approach by changing field-level policies and perceptions while strengthening and supporting individual organizations. Since many of the challenges organizations face are complex, they require multiple perspectives and areas of expertise.
Through our integrated offerings, we provide comprehensive, coherent, and lasting solutions to education’s most long-standing and complicated problems.
Bellwether boasts high employee retention and referrals, and — according to Washingtonian magazine — we're one of Washington D.C.'s 50 Great Places to Work, based on employee satisfaction. We're intentional about building a culture where staff feel challenged, engaged, and recognized for their accomplishments, and we're proud that our team — both in D.C. and around the country — feels confident in the decisions we make and the ways we flexibly approach work.
Bellwether takes our mission of serving educators, students, organizations, and communities seriously. But we try not to take ourselves as individuals quite so seriously. We do challenging work, and we know how to have fun. From jumpsuits and talent shows at retreats, to PowerPoint presentations on werewolves and vampires at team meetings, we embrace our individuality — our quirks, talents, and diversity of viewpoints. We welcome different experiences and perspectives because we know that our team is stronger for having a variety of political, cultural, and educational beliefs represented.
Bellwether strives to make the work rewarding and sustainable so we can find harmony between demanding jobs and full personal lives. We are proud that our team has poets, hockey players, food bloggers, activists, teachers, karate black belts, church leaders, cyclists, and much more. Our flexible work environment allows many of our team members to work where they like, and when they like (within reason, of course). This allows us to operate in ways that feel most productive to us and do more of what we love doing on our own time.
These qualities are clear in the core values that guide our work and reflect what is truly important to us as an organization:
- Mission Mindset: We are dedicated to dramatically improving outcomes for low‐income students. Our nonprofit status allows us to focus on this mission, and it guides the people we hire and the clients and projects we support.
- Tailored Excellence: We work with our clients to develop customized, innovative solutions. We direct our unwavering focus on quality toward successful outcomes for our clients.
- Synergy: We believe the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, and that our teams make each other better.
- Integrity: We exemplify the highest standards of individual and organizational ethics. We carefully balance client confidentiality with transparency to other clients and the public.
- Diversity and Inclusion: We believe that to achieve our mission, we must be a diverse and inclusive organization broadly reflecting the various communities we serve.
- Flexibility: We believe in the philosophy of “working smarter, not harder.” We trust our co-workers and teams to do excellent work in the manner they see fit.
- No Drama: We have no tolerance for drama or the politics of education affecting our work. We respectfully and proactively deal with frustrations, disagreements, and unexpected hurdles.
Further, we value many forms of diversity and believe race, ethnicity, and socioeconomic issues play an especially acute role in the education sector and consequently our work. By actively seeking and hiring talent with diverse backgrounds and experiences, and maintaining an environment where divergent ideas and perspectives are freely expressed, we increase our collective ability to deliver thoughtful, relevant solutions and analyses for our clients and the education sector.
About the Position
Are you a people- and service-oriented individual ready to champion Bellwether’s mission and drive our organization’s efforts to build a best-in-class team with a focus on diversity and inclusion?
This is an exciting opportunity to support Bellwether’s growth as a leading education organization focused on dramatically changing education and life outcomes for underserved children. The Director of Talent Operations will lead Bellwether’s talent recruitment processes and priorities, providing support for talent development and implementation of new talent processes. This instrumental new role will be a part of our small internal Human Capital team and offers candidates a tremendous opportunity to develop strategic talent management skills as Bellwether grows. The Director of Talent Operations will work closely with Bellwether’s Human Capital team — a rotating group of senior associate partners and partners across the organization — and will report to one of Bellwether’s senior associate partners.
In that context, the Director of Talent Operations’ primary responsibilities and duties will be to support the expansion of current hiring practices while driving the development and implementation of new systems and practices aligned with Bellwether’s talent priorities — most especially, supporting Bellwether’s goal to attract, retain, and develop a diverse, joyful, and inclusive team. Specific responsibilities include:
Talent Recruitment and Selection
Support the development and cultivation of a diverse job candidate pipeline
- Partner with Bellwether’s Human Capital team to develop and implement new strategies to build diverse talent pipelines.
Proactively drive and manage all day-to-day hiring and recruitment activities
- Collaborate with hiring managers to refine and create compelling and accurate role descriptions;
- Implement marketing, networking, posting, and awareness building;
- Collect, track, and manage applications;
- Conduct preliminary screening of candidates aligned to Bellwether’s values;
- Communicate with candidates professionally and in a highly responsive manner;
- Conduct informational interviews and cultivate a competitive and diverse pool of talent; and
- Coordinate and facilitate Bellwether team members’ referrals of potential candidates.
Manage selection process, partnering and collaborating across the organization as needed
- Refine and implement the selection process with a keen eye toward alignment to Bellwether’s mission and core values, most especially our values around diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- Coordinate interview processes;
- Collect and synthesize feedback from internal stakeholder interviews; and
- Support values aligned decision, referencing, and offer processes.
Support current onboarding processes
- Partner with team members to ensure onboarding content is recent, tailored, and relevant, and
- Schedule and coordinate onboarding for new team members (following current organizational practices and norms).
Support the implementation of Bellwether’s talent priorities
- Partner with Human Capital team to implement prioritized activities to support Bellwether’s talent philosophy and professional learning goals, for example:
- Understand and elevate team learning needs through organizational survey data, feedback discussions, and manager input;
- Identify internal and external resources to support professional learning and development;
- Coordinate and manage quarterly professional learning opportunities for team members;
- Maintain and update Bellwether’s internal learning and professional development resource library;
- Coordinate learning opportunities across the organization, including managing structures for “near-peer” learning;
- Support implementation of initiatives to help managers across the organization become more effective in their roles supporting the growth and learning of a diverse team;
- Develop a system for evaluating impact of professional learning opportunities; and
- Support Bellwether’s annual and mid-year performance management processes.
- Participate as a member of Bellwether’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) “badger” team, a group of colleagues who lead and support Bellwether’s ongoing work and reflection to become a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization. Advance and integrate the work stemming from this team into human capital systems, structures, and processes.
Bellwether is a strong fit for professionals who possess strong personal drive and motivation; demonstrate strong alignment to Bellwether’s values, and who are resourceful, responsible, tenacious, independent, and self-confident.
Additionally, the successful candidate will possess a strong equity focused lens demonstrated through past experience and will have:
- Experience developing and/or managing an inclusive talent recruitment and selection process;
- Experience engaging in conversations that advance diversity, equity, and inclusion principles;
- Demonstrated project management skills;
- Professional learning in issues of bias, equity, and inclusion; and
- Familiarity with professional service organizations.
Skills and Competencies:
- Impeccable organization and implementation skills with very strong attention to detail;
- Effective, empathetic, and direct communication skills;
- Emotional intelligence that supports an ability to build relationships with internal stakeholders, candidates and organizations;
- Flexibility to lean into Bellwether’s talent priorities and drive impact as the organization grows;
- Proactive, problem solving and action-oriented mindset; and
- Commitment to Bellwether’s core values around diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Bellwether Education Partners provides competitive compensation and an attractive benefits package that includes a performance bonus based on individual and firm success, full health care coverage, and access to 401(k) accounts with an employer matching contribution policy.
Flexible. Although we maintain offices in Washington, DC and Los Angeles, CA, our flexible working style allows our professionals to work where they have built their lives, thereby enabling Bellwether to hire the best person for each role, regardless of geography.
Applications or inquiries about the position should be directed to:
Lynne Graziano, Recruitment Coordinator
The review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Applications should consist of a letter of interest and a current résumé and should be submitted electronically.
Bellwether Education Partners is committed to providing equal opportunities. It is our policy to ensure that all individuals with whom we are in contact are not discriminated against on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, color, disability, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran’s status. Further, as described above, Bellwether is committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourages individuals from all backgrounds to apply.